Thursday, January 24, 2013

Kissing the Rod

SARAH EDWARDS
In 1758, when Sarah Edwards heard the news that her husband Jonathan had died, she picked up her pen and wrote these words to her daughter Esther:

"What shall I say! A holy and good God has covered us with a dark cloud. O that we may kiss the rod, and lay our hands upon our mouths! The Lord has done it. He has made me adore his goodness, that we had [your father] so long. But my God lives; and he has my heart. O what a legacy my husband, and your father, has left us! We are all given to God; and there I am, and love to be."
Marriage to a Difficult Man (by Elizabeth Dodds)

Trust in the LORD! (Psalm 115:9-11)

  9 O Israel, trust in the LORD! He is their help and their shield. 10 O house of Aaron, trust in the LORD! He is their help and their...